RPM submission script

Eric S. Raymond esr at snark.thyrsus.com
Fri Nov 7 17:20:44 UTC 2003

The next point release of Bugzilla will include and support a script
called bug-bugzilla, written by Christian Reis and myself, that allows
posting of bugs without going through a Web interface.  You supply an
RFC822-like message on input instead.

Some may recall my urging that submission of RPMs for Fedora needs to
be scriptable.  I followed through by working with the Bugzilla crew
to build and document this tool.  The bug-bugzilla script is the
essential piece of infrastructure for scriptable RPM submissions to
happen.  It abstracts away the details of interacting with Bugzilla CGIs.

I therefore propose the following:

1. A bug-bugzilla RPM should become part of Fedora core.

2. I will write a fedora-submit script, which will call bug-bugzilla.

3. fedora-submit should become part of the Fedora RPM tools RPM, with
   a dependency on bug-bugzilla.

Later, if Fedora's submission channel for RPMs changes, fedora-submit
can be changed to suit.  The important thing, in my opinion, is to get
a fedora-submit mechanism in place in order to encourage contributions
from people like me who run lots of projects and need scriptable RPM
submission to support that.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of
authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was
made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There
are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to
govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
	-- Daniel Webster