Hardware Database

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 18:34:25 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:13:07PM -0800, Maxwell Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> 	What I _don't_ really think would be fun would be parsing the text
> output of those programs. MKJ thought it would be ideal if dmidecode
> could give us XML. Anybody know if there's a tool that already does
> this, or something we could start with? hwbrowser seems to make sense of
> that data somehow -- is there a way to get data out of it? Who's the
> maintainer of hwbrowser?

I don't know if there's a version of dmidecode that prints xml, but I
can't imagine that it would be remotely difficult to add, nor that it
would make the source code less clean.

http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/

Also note that there are a few other tools that come with dmidecode that
might have useful information for this project.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/