The Fedora Hardware Project

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander maxka at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 8 09:42:21 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 01:14, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Storing brand names is a pain, as there will be 4000 branding variants
> > of a particular device. (Video cards are a classic example, there are
> > 5000 ways to spell out GeForce2).
>
> However the pci db people have been doing it for years
> It's not rocket science : you just print out the entries that have
> already associated to the id and/or entries for similar hardware and
> people will choose by themselves something that fits.

	Hrm... seems like that where the brand name comes from should be a
configurable data source. For PCI, we could use the pci db, perhaps. For
other buses, we could use already-existing projects, or we could make
our own. If somebody started a project, we could give them our data and
reconfigure our database to pull from theirs.

	-M