Warren' rejection of cooperation with other repos

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 8 12:09:54 UTC 2003

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Warren Togami wrote:
> > I would assert that the alliances of 3rd party repositories that
> > have tried to form in the recent past are not sustainable in the
> > long term, for the same controversial reasons that fedora.us
> > rejected cooperation with those entities earlier this year.

I am sorry to hear that you still think you were doing the Right
Thing (TM).

When Fedora (US) was being formed it attracted many repo maintainers
like freshrpms, newrpms, dag and many others including myself. They
hoped for a coordination institution within fedora, which should
provide

o interrepository specifications (note "inter"!!!)
o merger proposals
o common infrastructure

In that sense a lot of input was provided for the versioning scheme.

Instead the project was driven towards a competitive repo, refusing to
add components that would make the specification more general, because
"there could only be one repository". You also managed to create the
largest repository compatibility problems ever (I just say epoch: 0),
that you were supposedly trying to avoid.

Many people left the fedora.us project because of that attitude. If
the project had been more open we would be much further today than we
are.

I am not speaking about or flaming fedora.us' community here, only
about the emerged leadership. Most fedora.us packagers have avoided
participating in Warren's crusade against other repos.

So please drop that attitude. You are damanging fedora.us,
fedora.redhat.com and repository intercooperation in general.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de