OpenOffice i18n pack.

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Sun Nov 9 14:53:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 11:41:07AM -0300, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
> Erçin EKER wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Isn't it better to provide i18n files in seperate packages
> > (OOo-1.1.0-i18n-tr_TR.rpm for turkish) instead of one huge, space killer
> > pack? in Mandrake it's so and i think its better.
>
> I agree with that, mainly because users may want to install one or two
> language on their system, but sometimes they end with lots of unusued
> language files filling up their space.

The files are marked with %lang() (similarly to e.g. glibc-common locales).
If you are too concerned about disk space, you can just select different
languages instead of all in rpm configuration (e.g. override
%_install_langs in ~/.rpmmacros).
Older RH distributions used to do that, I think since RHL9 the default
is all, since the confusion it created (people installing say en and de
language support only and then wondering why they cannot use italian)
overweighted the disk space savings for average disk sizes these days.

	Jakub