TradeMarked Name --redhat-config-

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sun Nov 9 19:06:02 UTC 2003

On Nov  9, 2003, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Lance Davis wrote:
>> That really sums up redhats attitude does it ??
>>
>> None of the other projects / companies mentioned , including XFree86 ,
>> Apache etc, use trademarks to restrict the distribution of GPL software
>> like Redhat does.

> So isn't Red Hat already violating that by their restrictions on
> using their trademark and releasing software with the trademark
> in it as GPL?

redhat is not a trademark.  Red Hat is, and so are the logos.  Those,
that Red Hat needs to protect, are in separate packages, whose
licenses are not the GNU GPL.  My understanding is that those that
*are* GPLed can't be encumbered with trademark, just like they can't
be encumbered by patents.  But then, IANAL, so my understanding may be
off.

> GPL should protect you perhaps.

I'm convinced it does, for packages that are indeed released under the
GNU GPL.  This is not the case of fedora-logos or anaconda-images,
since their license is not the GNU GPL.  But then again, IANAL.