Anaconda LVM and file system size limitations

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 17:45:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 22:22, Eric Smith wrote:
> I just set up a system with a 1.4 TB RAID (on a 3Ware 7500-8), and
> have run into some limitations of Anaconda.  It seems that it is
> not possible to set up an LVM physical volume or volume group larger
> than 1 TB, nor to create ext3 (or jfs) filesystems larger than 1 TB.

Problems have been reported with devices larger than a terabyte.  Also,
in general, most drivers are only safe up to a terabyte -- some can go
to 2, but it's driver dependent in 2.4.x and so it was deemed better to
err on the side of caution since I don't have hardware to investigate
with.

> These limits seem to be hardcoded in fsset.py, in multiple lines like
>     aelf.maxSizeMB = 1024 * 1024
> It's my undertanding that there are problems with filesystems larger
> than2 TB, but it looks like it should be easy to change the Anaconda
> limits to a higher value, such as 1536 MB or 1920 MB.  Is there any
> known problem with doing so?

It wasn't working, that's why it's set to 1 TB.

Cheers,

Jeremy