FC2, 2.6 vs 2.4

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Wed Nov 19 17:05:37 UTC 2003

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> Some of them can be easily replaced by newer ones (for example, IDE-SCSI
> was used mainly for CD-Burning, but now you can use direct ATAPI
> CD-Burning), and some will be superseded by newer versions, like LVM2 or
> EVMS.

should-fix.txt:

drivers/ide/
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  (Alan)

o IDE PIO has occasional unexplained PIO disk eating reports

  PRI1

o IDE has multiple zillions of races/hangs in 2.5 still

  PRI1

o There are lots of other IDE bugs that wont go away until the taskfile
  stuff is included, the locking bugs that allow any user to hang the IDE
  layer in 2.5, and some other updates are forward ported.  (esp.  HPT372N).

  PRI1

[...]

> For mainstream usage, I think 2.6 is ready for most of the people out
> there.

must-fix.txt:

o alan: Forward port 2.4 fixes
  - Security fixes including execve holes, execve vs proc races

o There are about 60 or 70 security related checks that need doing
  (copy_user etc) from Stanford tools.  (badari is looking into this, and
  hollisb)

o A couple of hundred real looking bugzilla bugs

[...]

Maybe in six months +/- it will be ok.

--
HTML mails are going to trash automagically