CD burning with Nautilus, was: Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Sep 7 21:04:09 UTC 2003

Sorry for stepping up so late (I've been on vacation).

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:28, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> One comment about the current music cd burning abilities. This is very
> limiting and will in the future be removed in favour of a "burn
> playlist" button in the media player (rhythmbox for instance).

Excuse me, but this is more than counterintuitive -- I asked my wife
where she would look for something to burn her music on CD and it was
definitely not the music player -- and she is an end user (beat this
;-). Funny enough, she would expect a CD-burning application which kinda
makes sense since the task probably gets perceived rather as "burn a CD"
(with whatever contents) than as "do XYZ with my music" or "do XYZ with
my data" -- putting a medium in the drive could be more "tangible" than
shuffling bits around, but I'm getting philosophic...

> There just isn't any sane way to handle ordering of the songs in the
> nautilus UI. Plus you want to know things like total play time and have
> easy preview of the songs.

Hypothetically asked (meaning I don't want you to commit to anything):
Would it be that hard to implement a new Nautilus view which were aware
of ordering and other stuff needed for that? Of course (Havoc will hate
that) it would need to expose some of the innards of audio CDs and
CD-ROMs, red, orange and other coloured books to the user, but I guess
this could be done easy for easy tasks (copying whole audio+data CDs,
burning ISOs, burning just data) and still provide means to do more
sophisticated stuff...

But probably I'm the wrong person to ask -- getting ACL support into
Nautilus wasn't as easy as I thought either ;-). If it'd be doable, I'd
try my luck though (if time permits).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com