CD burning with Nautilus, was: Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

André Kelpe fs111 at web.de
Mon Sep 8 16:39:14 UTC 2003

Am Mon, 2003-09-08 um 16.47 schrieb Chris Ricker:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > A cd burning application would be a pretty bad ui for burning an audio
> > CD, since in them you can't easily listen to the tracks, find the music
> > from your library, view id3 information, see how many minutes the
> > current list of music is, etc. Unless of course this was a specific
> > audio-burning-app. But then, if it were, it would be pretty close to a
> > music player. The macos X music player iTunes has a burn button. End
> > users seem to have no problem understanding it.
>
> The major Windows cd burning applications burn audio CDs, and they do all
> the "this many minutes left", "preview track", etc. stuff.
>
> I really would NOT expect to find that functionality in a music player. I'd
> expect it in a CD burning application. What I'm doing is burning a CD. The
> contents of that CD should be irrelevant.

Full ACK! If I want an Audio CD, I want do use the same application, as
I use for my data- or video-CD's etc. No one wants to use more than one
application to burn things (from an desktop users point of view, not an
unix users point of view :-)).

I think k3b (http://www.k3b.org/) is an good example what a burning
application has to be (please do not kill me for giving KDE tools as an
good example ;-)). It is very powerfull, easy to use and it can play the
music your are burning, if you want, but overall it is a burning
application not a music player. People want it IMHO that way, not the
other way round.

André