Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 20:28:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 14:33, Jos Vos wrote:
> Well, as you say, we already have Debian (and many other "truly open"
> community distributions).  We also have many "not completely open"
> commercial distributions (fill in the names yourself).  And we had
> a (truly?) open commercial distribution: Red Hat Linux.  IMHO this
> is what we seem to loose now: a fully open distribution, but still
> controlled by a single entity (company).  Red Hat Linux played this
> role, between the community distributions and the not-completely-open
> commercial distributions.  So I still think we *do* loose something.

Well, you have to define "open" - Red Hat Linux had open source
licensing, but the devel model for Red Hat Linux was not the open source
methodology.

Some things about the Fedora Project vs. other projects:

 1. the people working on it, including many of the best
 2. frequent releases and updates
 3. RHEL may inherit many Fedora Project enhancements, so the work
       done is potentially available in supported form down the line
 4. all open source

Some other distributions have some of those features, of course, but I
don't think any of them have all of them.

Havoc