Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Sep 23 02:24:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:10, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > people to pickup in a store and tryout ...
> > ... there goes the ball game. It worked fine as long as you could
> > recommend the client pick up a boxed copy and sign up for a RHN
> > subscription. Now it looks like all that is left is SUSE, until
> > some one else puts a distro on the shelf at Bestbuy(or whatever).
>
> Note, however, that if a majority of RedHat Linux users *did* purchase
> the boxed set (as opposed to merely talking about it), RedHat might not
> have decided/been_forced_to change their business model...
>
> It isn't that talk is cheap... it is that talk doesn't pay the staff... :-)

One might argue some serious consumer-oriented marketing might've
helped, but then, Redhat was never aimed for the consumer, from what I
can tell.  So again, for the average home user desktop, I guess I need
to admit that a Redhat competitor is all I can hope to provide a good
OS.

Maybe once desktop linux picks up a bit more Redhat can move into that
field.  One cannot blame them for abandoning a market that does not
exist, no matter how hard we tried to make it exist. ~,^

> mark
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.