Interesting article on boot ordering

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 02:44:34 UTC 2003

Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de) said:
> > You're confusing me here; since when are glib2 and sysklogd
> > prerequsites of SysVinit?
>
> Most -sysv initscripts are using the /etc/init.d/functions file which is
> part of the 'initscripts' package which has these prerequsites.

Point, although those aren't specifically required by /etc/init.d/functions.
(*A* syslog daemon is, though...)

> > I'm still not sure what you're saying here. LSB init requirements have
> > very little to do with X11.
>
> When somebody wants LSB he gets the full
>
> | Requires: redhat-lsb
>
> Last but not least, this package is required for the 'lsb_start_daemon'
> et.al.  functions, which are used in -lsb compliant initscripts.

We could split redhat-lsb into ten separate packages; we could
also move the functions to the initscripts package.

> >> There are some problems with this approach (apt is not very clever in
> >> choosing the right subpackage), but they are not unsolvable.
> >
> > But it defeats the point. Having the user pick 'what sort of init
> > would you like' is *way* too much technical overkill.
>
> Just a technical issue. You can solve it with future rpm, version 6
> technology (e.g. assign minit/sysv-groupmembership to these packages and
> rpm/apt tries to maximize groups when having ambiguous requirements), or
> apt tries to minimize count of newly installed packages, or the
> apt-pinning can be used for it.

No, it's still an issue of providing the user with three separate
init systems, and expecting them to make sense of them. For something
like an MTA with specific varied feature sets, I can see potentially
having multiple option. For something like an init system, I'd think
the required featureset is small enough that you should be able to only
need one system.

Moreover, LSB init scripts are really just a slightly extended SysV,
depending on how you do it.

> > That's going to be a problem; I don't see us dropping LSB support
> > any time soon.
>
> There is LSB support in rhl-initscripts which can be dropped? ;)

Yes, been there since 7.3...

Bill