Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 03:30:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:33:16PM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
[snip]
> commercial distributions (fill in the names yourself).  And we had
> a (truly?) open commercial distribution: Red Hat Linux.  IMHO this
> is what we seem to loose now: a fully open distribution, but still
> controlled by a single entity (company).  Red Hat Linux played this
> role, between the community distributions and the not-completely-open
> commercial distributions.  So I still think we *do* loose something.

As far as I can tell, Mandrake and Conectiva both fit into the same sort
of role as the old Red Hat Linux did. I would characterize both of those
as fully open distributions that are controlled by companies.

(I'm typing this from a Mandrake box, although my laptop runs Red Hat as
do most of the computers I manage at work.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>