Interesting article on boot ordering

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Wed Sep 24 12:44:06 UTC 2003

Bryan W. Headley wrote:

> It looks like what rhgb is doing is starting a minimal X server. Not
> good because of the time constraints of starting it; hell, you might
> do a better overall job in text mode, put up fake shadows, etc. and
> maybe that's the way to go.

100% agreed there.  Sure it makes things a little prettier, but it adds
a considerably amount of time to the boot.  Doing something with the
framebuffer similar to bootsplash would be much quicker.

> Re: speed/quality of sysvinit versus minit or runit. The tradeoffs
> you're getting is that minit "knows" one of it's spawned services have
> stopped, and can react to that. sysvinit really doesn't know about
> errors...

This is one that a lot of folks are hankering for.  I'm not sure myself
if that is necessarily the job of the init program.  There are a great
number of services that don't have a tendency to die with any frequency
worth adding all of the overhead of an init monitoring deal and in the
cases where it is required, there are quite possibly better solutions
such as keepalived that can monitor and make more intelligent decisions
about the process.