Retain upgrade paths (was: /etc/redhat-release?)

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Sep 24 18:43:24 UTC 2003

How many packages actually *need* these different disttags?  I can
usually install packages for RH8 just fine on Rawhide, even tho most of
the underlying software has newer packages.

I'd wager only a handful of packages really rely on the core OS
version.  Most probably rely on other packages, i.e., GNOME - a GNOME
app shouldn't depend on RH8 for GNOME2 and RH9 for GNOME2.2 and FC1 for
GNOME2.4 - it should just depend on the GNOME version.  After all, an
app made for GNOME2.0 will work just fine on GNOME2.4, and thus RH8
GNOME apps should run on FC1 no problem.

Instead of hacking up the distro's cleanliness to support poor packaging
practices, maybe the packaging practices should just be corrected...

(I'll admit I could easily be missing some piece of the puzzle - if I'm
babbling in such a way, have my apologies for being clueless ^^; )
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.