Retain upgrade paths (was: /etc/redhat-release?)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 22:58:58 UTC 2003

Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de) said:
> Just to give more food for thought: How would you version a kernel
> based on the same sources released for RH 7.x,8.0,9 and now
> additionally fc?
>
> 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.7.i686.rpm
> 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.8.i686.rpm
> 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.9.i686.rpm
> 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.0.94.i686.rpm
>
> The latter looses. You either have to rethink the first three or
> version the last with something rpm-higher than "9". Or start epochin
> all such packages occuring on multiple releases, which for somerpeos
> means all of the carried packages.

'loses', not 'looses'. :)

You're arguing, as best I can tell, that it will break on upgrading
some packages that haven't even been built yet, that are building
by some automated release-querying script, correct? Because, if
you're doing this versioning by hand, it's a non-starter. Anything
you're modifying by hand can be modified differently.

Such a script can be *easily* modifed to work with Fedora Core
in this case. It can key off of:

a) 'Fedora Core' in /etc/redhat-release
b) the presence of /etc/fedora-release
c) the fact that fedora-release provides /etc/redhat-release

Note that b) and c) will only be true in test release 3 and later.

Bill