Retain upgrade paths (was: /etc/redhat-release?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 25 06:01:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:58:58PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Axel Thimm (Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de) said:
> > Just to give more food for thought: How would you version a kernel
> > based on the same sources released for RH 7.x,8.0,9 and now
> > additionally fc?
> >
> > 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.7.i686.rpm
> > 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.8.i686.rpm
> > 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.9.i686.rpm
> > 	kernel-2.4.22-1.2082.0.94.i686.rpm
> >
> > The latter looses. You either have to rethink the first three or
> > version the last with something rpm-higher than "9". Or start epochin
> > all such packages occuring on multiple releases, which for somerpeos
> > means all of the carried packages.
>
> 'loses', not 'looses'. :)
>
> You're arguing, as best I can tell, that it will break on upgrading
> some packages that haven't even been built yet, that are building
> by some automated release-querying script, correct?

No, this is current practice on several 3rd party repos for RedHat
including the one I maintain, as well as fedora itself ...
(See also the google link in my first post pointing to ~200 similar
sites)

> Because, if you're doing this versioning by hand, it's a
> non-starter. Anything you're modifying by hand can be modified
> differently.

Well, I have heard of scripting before ...

> Such a script can be *easily* modifed to work with Fedora Core
> in this case. It can key off of:
>
> a) 'Fedora Core' in /etc/redhat-release
> b) the presence of /etc/fedora-release
> c) the fact that fedora-release provides /etc/redhat-release
>
> Note that b) and c) will only be true in test release 3 and later.

You are missing the point, the "script" is rpm/apt/yum/<your favourite
package resolver here>

Here is what is current practice for the upgraders (as opposed to
"freshinstallers"):
o Install RH8.0
o Install apt/yum
o Use repo A, B and C (pointing to its RH8.0 section)
o User decides to upgrade to RH9
o Upgrade the system with RH9 CDs
o Adjust the apt/yum configuration to the new version
o Update the system against the repos for RH9

There is no space for a custom script, unless you are thinking of
anaconda specials, which is not desired.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de