rpm version-release in Version strings of OpenSSH, Apache etc?

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Fri Sep 26 16:42:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:21:45 -0600
Stephen Smoogen <smoogen at lanl.gov> wrote:

> However security through obscurity is not security. The people who are
> looking for 'unpatched' servers are going to run the 4 line hack anyway
> with their autoscripts.

Agreed, Obscurity does not work for most things but what if that 4 line
script doesn't work? They'll know exactly what to look for. Not to mention
alot of the people who want in do not want flags going off everywhere so they
enumerate services first then apply exploits based on that information. It's
kind of a moot point in this example though because I'm pretty sure that the
SSH protocol needs valid banners to work correctly anyway.

> The more interesting question would be if adding these strings would
> actually help you because each backdoor would just change the string to
> a 'patched' version so that your quick scanners would pass it over.

  Yep, Also I'm pretty sure that nmap's new -sV switch doesn't just grab
banners but fingerprints other responses like actually using SSL or whatever
to get past encryption and find protocol numbers. Maybe this is what he
needs instead of a custom daemon where being lied to by backdoors is much easier.