Usability of new graphical boot process...

Derek P. Moore derek.moore at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 20:38:54 UTC 2003

The new graphical boot process is purdy keen...
However, it could use one little change to increase
its overall usability.

As the progess bar moves from left to right, the name
of the service that is attempting to start is shown
for a few seconds then faded away.  This is nice
eyecandy, but it's really inconvenient if a particular
service is taking forever or hanging indefinately.

If I'm not lucky enough to catch the name of the
service in the few seconds before it fades away, I'll
have no idea what's going wrong 'til I reboot and
devote 100% of my attention to watching the names of
the services before they fade away.

I brought this up in #fedora-devel, but thought I'd
post to the mailing list so this issue actually gets
some attention.

In #fedora-devel someone suggested that instead of the
names fading away after a few seconds, they could fade
from one into the next.  That sounds like a much more
sensible option if we really want fading eyecandy.

Okay, I'm done now,

Derek