fedora only for US users ?

Sat Sep 27 14:02:14 UTC 2003

Pekka Savola wrote:

>>I think that now the fedora project is more open to community, it's time to
>>really open it to all languages.
>

> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html says about Fedore Core:
>
> Users: Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers
>
> How big a percentage of the above-mentioned user group does not speak
> English?
>
> Note that it's about being able to read/speak/write English, it has
> nothing to do with "US" or not.
>
> My personal belief is that most of the internationalization efforts are of
> very low priority for that particular user group.

And you are very wrong.
A lot of people can live with english. That doesn't mean they would not
jump on a localized version if available. Didn't you notice the efforts
an ubber-geek like Alan Cox spent on Welsh lately ? Yet he can live with
english too.

Non native langage apps are a pain just like non AA fonts were or XFree
approximative drivers for new gfx cards are. Do not underestimate the
impact of little pains - a project like Gnome saw the HiG light after
accumulating for years "low priority" problems people "could live with".

Polish counts.

--
Nicolas Mailhot