fedora only for US users ?

Andrew Sobala aes at gnome.org
Sat Sep 27 16:34:43 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 14:28, Pekka Savola wrote:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html says about Fedore Core:
>
> Users: Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers
>
> How big a percentage of the above-mentioned user group does not speak
> English?
>
> Note that it's about being able to read/speak/write English, it has
> nothing to do with "US" or not.
>
> My personal belief is that most of the internationalization efforts are of
> very low priority for that particular user group.  There are more pressing
> issues to handle (such as, making it possible to get external
> contributions on packages etc. to Fedora, getting the infrastructure ready
> all in all, etc.) first.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong direction.

In GNOME, we have a huge l10n effort and a lot of contributors from all
over the world: these people run GNOME in their native language whenever
possible.

Yes, developers speak English and yes, a lot of people in all countries
speak English nowadays. But when it's your second language,
internationalisation efforts are of utmost importance.

English people, Americans, Australians, etc. are a subset of linux
enthusiasts, not the whole.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes at gnome.org>