fedora only for US users ?

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Sat Sep 27 18:23:13 UTC 2003

> Some of my observations from technical translations:
>
>  1) more often than not, they seem badly translated, or there just isn't
> useful local Language terminology which would be commonly understood.
>
>  2) technical folks don't even know what the local Language term X refers
> to (compared to the English version), as the terms aren't stable, and
> globally common.  So, using the local language is often a much bigger
> problem, especially if you report bugs, discuss features or such in
> English.
>
>  3) translations are often not really in sync with the latest versions,
> some translations are missing, or not everything is translated anyway.

You're right ! But those problems are _nothing_ compared to the problems
you face when you don't speak a single word of English and yet have to
use English-only apps.

I really think a bad translation is better than no translation at all.
Even if I prefer running my desktop in English anyway (I'm a native
French speaker)...