redhat logo on gnome menu / menu bar.

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Sep 27 18:52:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 14:19, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> how about replacing it with a graphic that suggest there's a menu there?
> People coming from Windows are used to start by pressing Start, now they
> have to press on a hat, very  intuitive.

GNOME 2.4 now supports a non-square thing there; ideally I believe it
would be simply text (perhaps saying "Main Menu") plus maybe an arrow
drawn by the theme engine and/or an icon of some kind.

Though I don't think KDE supports a rectangle with text so it introduces
a consistency problem if we do that. Also if using a rectangle we'd
probably want the half-height panel.

Two observations about Longhorn (next-gen windows):

 - the panel is on the side, so you have more vertical space for
   documents (though I'm not sure where the window list lives)

 - they always have text+icon instead of just icon for the
   stuff on the panel; all the applets have labels

Havoc