PowerPC support

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 30 19:51:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 13:43, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 06:20:43AM -0400, mike at flyn.org wrote:
> > Is there any plans to add a PowerPC build of Fedora?
>
> [snip]
>
> > Are there any like-minded folks out there?
>
>   Yes.  Me.  ;-)
>
>   Well, not just PowerPC, but also some other non-x86 platforms in general.
> One request I'd like to make to Red Hat (and any other package maintainers)
> is to please, please, please, don't make rpms ExclusiveArch unless absolutely
> necessary.  I realize that may already be the case, but I'm just putting my
> two cents in for this.  This comes up now as I notice that, though it appears
> from the changelog that it is temporary, today's errata for openssl is
> exclusive to x86 :-(.  I have found on several occasions that rpms with the
> ExclusiveArch tag in the spec file build and work fine on both Alpha and
> Arm (netwinder) once the tag is removed.  Isn't there an ExcludedArch tag

I think the reason for ExclusiveArch is that the software hasnt been
tested on any other arch. Since Red Hat gives SLAs for those errata..
making sure that people dont complain about broken RPMS (even if they
broke it themselves.. ) cuts support costs. Of course I might be smoking
up a fantasy here.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645