Dependency hell

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 3 09:02:49 UTC 2004

Andrew Farris wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 21:26 -0500, Richard Hally wrote:
>

>>Please see the list of my attempts to update  my system  to  rawhide.
>>The thing that seems most incorrect is that rpm or yum do not report
>>correctly the packages that need to be excluded.  Since there always
>>seems to be some dependency problem (one gets fixed but another one
>>stops the update) it would seem that a reliable way to determine which
>>packages to exclude would be very helpful and save time that can be put
>>to better use. thanks for any help,
>>Richard Hally
>>

>>>[root at localhost root]# yum upgrade
>>>

><snip>
>

>>>Package pwlib needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
>>>Package xemacs needs libRKC.so.1.2, this is not available.
>>>Package xemacs needs libcanna.so.1.2, this is not available.
>>>Package dvgrab needs libdv.so.2, this is not available.
>>>Package db4-java needs db4 = 4.1.25-14, this is not available.
>>>

><snip>
>

>>>[root at localhost root]# yum --exclude=pwlib --exclude=xemacs
>>>--exclude=dvgrab --exclude=db4-java   upgrade
>>>

>You have, like so many others, misunderstood the statements: they are
>not telling you what packages are not available, they are telling you
>what files are no longer available (due to the new version being
>installed--libraries are being removed/updated).
>
>libdv.so.2 is being removed, the new version of libdv does NOT supply
>it, likewise for the other files mentioned.  This is accurately telling
>you what files are no longer present after the test upgrade (dependency
>tests).
>
>You should have instead excluded the library packages that were being
>changed, not the packages you already have that require the old library
>files.  What you did was to exclude packages which you already have
>installed--essentially doing nothing.
>
>You may need to remove db4-java since that package requires an old
>library (or find the update to it which should be built properly against
>the new library).
>yum --exclude=libdv* --exclude=Canna-lib* --exclude=db4 update

Thank you Andrew, you make my point for me in an indrect way. It takes
four paragraphs to try to explain what is going on and it is still as
clear as mud(no slam on your excellent exposition). I just want it to
tell me what packages to exclude, that's all.  :)
But, to extend the instance,  the result of your suggested yum command
line is shown below:
(I have installed apt since the previous attempt with yum (of course
that just adds to the problem))
 Isn't that just wonderful...and it goes on,  rpm-4.2.1-0.30  is
installed and provides librpm-4.2.so
but of course yum/rpm doesn't say it will not be available if I do this
update,  it says *is not *available.  should I add --exclude=rpm
--exclude=python2.2
I guess I have belabored the point, sorry

Thanks for  your help,
Richard Hally

 [root at localhost root]# yum --exclude=libdv* --exclude=Canna-lib
--exclude=db4 update
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Rawhide
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
.Package apt needs librpm-4.2.so, this is not available.
Package apt needs librpmdb-4.2.so, this is not available.
Package apt needs librpmio-4.2.so, this is not available.
Package db4-java needs db4 that has been excluded.
Package redhat-config-network-tui needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-users needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-nfs needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not available.
Package redhat-config-language needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-xfree86 needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-kickstart needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.Package redhat-config-date needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is
not available.
Package redhat-config-keyboard needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-mouse needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
Package redhat-config-securitylevel needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is
not available.
Package redhat-config-soundcard needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.Package redhat-config-samba needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is
not available.
Package redhat-config-bind needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not available.
Package redhat-config-rootpassword needs /usr/bin/python2.2, this is not
available.
[root at localhost root]#