[RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Apr 5 14:24:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 10:17, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I think a better solution is simply to make it easy for end users to use
> the facilities of yum or apt or whatever the distro has implemented.
>
> Put in a cdrom and the repository of packages gets added to the package
> management facility for the purpose of installing the software on the CD
> (and at the same time grabbing needed dependencies from the distro
> repository). It can add the PGP sig for the vendor as well, and add the
> vendors update repository - so that there still is one app that a user
> needs to use to update all software on their system.
>
> Yes - it means knowing the root password to install software. Cry me a
> river. It's the right way to do it, encouraging users to install
> software in their home directories is imho a recipe for disaster. That
> should only be done by developers who are testing their code, and know
> how to launch an app that isn't in their path.

One of the things I miss from Ximian's rug/rcd is that the rcd daemon
took care of installing the packages.  Therefore, it can be configured
to allow userA to install packages, userB only to update, and all others
to just query for info.

-Toshio
--
  t  o  s  h  i  o  +  t  i  k  i  -  l  o  u  n  g  e  .  c  o  m