Strange Kudzu Behavior: Update

Pyroman[FO] pyroman at ninjapanda.org
Tue Apr 6 18:12:50 UTC 2004

I now have the ethernet cards to the point where if all the ethernet
cards are down an /etc/init.d/network start will start them with the
correct names.  I'm not sure how I did it, I think I deleted all the
entries in system-config-network's hardware menu, then edited, then
readded them.

I checked HWADDR in the ifcfg-ethX files and they are correct, as are
the entries in hwconf now.  However when I boot, it still boots up eth1
(PCMCIA) as eth0, then tries to boot up eth1 as eth1, which it can't
rename it because the device is busy.  I haven't been able to replicate
this outside of a clean boot, every time I boot I have to "ifconfig eth0
down" (standard ifdown doesn't work because HWADDR is set and the wrong
card is currently eth0).  Then every time I use ifup, ifdown or
init.d/networking it works fine.  I also checked modprobe.conf, I can
remove all kernel modules and do "modprobe eth0" and it loads the right
driver and the right card is eth0.  Here is the error from my boot.log

Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:  done.
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname network: Bringing up interface eth0:  succeeded
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1:
Device or resource busy
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: interface 'eth0' not found
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1:
Device or resource busy
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1:
Device or resource busy
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: interface 'eth0' not found
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup:
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: Device eth1 has different MAC address
than expected, ignoring.
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname ifup: cannot change name of eth0 to eth1:
Device or resource busy
Apr  6 13:50:43 hostname network: Bringing up interface eth1:  failed

Pyroman[FO]