Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Apr 7 14:27:55 UTC 2004

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Florian La Roche wrote:
>

>> Red Hat has an empty directory called "/mnt" and some people use it to
>> mount single further fs, some add further subdirs to mount more media.
>>

> some people like kudzu create directories name "cdrom" and "floppy"
> there :)

There even have been some proposed corrections to the FHS 2.3 which
didn't make it into the final version which actually more precisely
define how /mnt can/should look like.

I agree with most people that in the really old days /mnt might have
been used as single temporary mount point. But with the same argument a
lot of other old cruft could be argued to keep on existing (which luckly
often doesn't anymore).

On the other hand, having a /media directory surely doesn't hurt, but
assuming that /mnt doesn't contain any subdirectories is plainly wrong IMHO.

/svr again seems to make quite a bit of sense to me as /var really
contains some things right now that rightfully don't belong there resp.
where there hasn't been a place to put some of these things properly yet.

I'll try to get a list compiled of stuff that might need fixing and
either fix them myself or convince the appropriate package maintainers
to fix them. :-)

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111