OpenOffice.org Dictionaries

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sat Apr 10 03:06:01 UTC 2004

Hi,

The performance degredation is not necessarily for each additional
dictionary installed, but for each additional dictionary _enabled_.  We
could install all the dictionaries by default, but people seem to always
click the "Check spelling in all languages" button, and _that_ is where
the performance degrades, and horribly.  You really can't blame OOo here
since its attempting to check spelling with like 30 dictionaries and
hyphenators.  People do this because they are lazy and don't want to
actually find and enable the dictionaries they need (which is probably the
fault of OOo's interface).

I suppose a good solution to this would be to remove that checkbox from
the dialog.

Dan