2.6.5-1.315 + kudzu -- constantly re-detecting my Ethernet card

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 11:55:38 UTC 2004

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> Over the weekend, I decided to try installing the 2.6.5-1.315 kernel (from
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/) on my laptop, which is currently
> running a fully-updated FC1.
>
> There were the normal 2.6 teething problems -- USB
> modules, /dev/input/mice, that sort of thing -- but things seem to be much
> better than the last time I tried a 2.6 kernel (e.g., no more kernel
> panics from my external USB sound card).
>
> One continuing annoyance is that kudzu persists in detecting my Ethernet
> card (RealTek somethingorother; driver is 8139too) as a new one, and
> configuring it as "eth2" (eth0 is the real configuration of my card; eth1
> is my wireless PCMCIA card). I found a thread from February that mentioned
> a similar issue, but I didn't see any resolution. Should I just disable
> kudzu and ignore the problem for now?

There were many fixes to kudzu since FC1, some of which were to
hopefully solve redetecting problems.  I personally have been plagued by
seemingly random redetecting problems with my "airo" wireless networking
device, but it seems to have improved with more recent kudzu versions.

I have no idea if the FC2 kudzu binary works on FC1.  Try that first, if
not try rebuilding the SRPM.

Warren