Question: Linux kernel releases and Fedora kernel RPMs...

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 14 23:13:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 12:21, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > What I have found is that you can take the redhat kernel config, get
> > vanilla kernel source, and run "make oldconfig" using the new kernel
> > source - and be just fine.
>
> You've done that successfully with Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core 1?

I skipped both of those releases.
I rejected 9 because 8 was good enough.
I skipped FC1 because it was too new.

> 2. The O_DIRECT patch/hack that allows rpm (actually, the underlying
>   Berkeley DB) to work correctly.

That's scary - a kernel patch needed for a user space library to work
properly? I'll have to look that one up and see what that's about - but
I initially don't like the sound of that.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/