Removing gftp-text

Nathan Robertson nathanr at nathanr.net
Thu Apr 15 23:36:55 UTC 2004

Warren Togami wrote:
> [root at ibmlaptop bin]# ls -l gftp*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    278 Apr 14 21:34 gftp
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 301804 Apr 14 21:34 gftp-gtk
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 163828 Apr 14 21:34 gftp-text
>
> I really want to just DELETE the gftp-text binary from the gftp package
> in order to save some distribution package and filesystem space.  gftp
> the GUI client is great, but gftp-text really sucks.  I can't imagine
> that anybody prefers it over lftp or ncftp, and it has the usability of
> "ftp".
>
> Anybody see any good reason to keep gftp-text?  If I don't hear any good
> reason within the next 18 hours it will be deleted.

I used to contribute to gftp (I spent some time working on a Mac OS X
port), so I've studied the source to both in some detail. IMO, the text
port is most useful for people to understand the architecture of
gftp/lib/, as it removes all the multithreading aspects, and the GTK+
code, and makes the architecture far more clear. Maybe one day it'll
become more than that, but lftp is far superior to gftp-text anyway (IMO).

Regards,
Nathan.