ALSA in a 2.6 world

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 06:43:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:25:57PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
> 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp
>
> That doesn't seem to me like any kind of closeness to the alleged
> "goals". ;-)

FC 1 was still closer to the RH 9 mentality in that regard, and this is a
good thing, and we would not have wanted to lose nptl and 0(1) just to be
closer to mainline.  As a result of the number of patches there, it is very
difficult (read time consuming) to rebaseline the kernel to a newer
release.  I think you will find that 2.4.22 was pretty much left behind
quite some time ago, but it remains the pristine source to which all of the
other patches are applied.

FC2 is in a different boat, moving to 2.6 means most of the desired
features exist already, and staying closer to mainline becomes much easier.
I really do not see this changing at all until the 2.7 development cycle
moves forward a bit.  That is the time where we will see if the goal of
staying closer to mainline is met, or if we get back into the habit of
backporting features at the expense of flexibility in rebaseline.

Justin