ALSA in a 2.6 world

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 16 14:16:57 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 00:26, Warren Togami wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
> >>The stated goals of Fedora are to stay as close to mainline upstream
> >>as possible.  This includes the kernel.
> > [the FC1 latest kernel is] 2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp
> > The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.4.26

> > That doesn't seem to me like any kind of closeness to the alleged
> > "goals". ;-)
> Seriously though, in 99% cases the only way you will get anything into
> the Fedora kernel is to convince upstream to include it.  Upstream
> inclusion means that a LOT more users and developers will be using and
> supporting it than Red Hat or Fedora alone.  That is a significant
> advantage that should not be overlooked.

Everbody is missing the point.  The point is this:
FC2 is released, possibly with kernel 2.6.6.

A month later, 2.6.7 is released, incorporating security fixes as well as new
features, like a new ALSA that better supports, say, Echo Layla24 (the
current ALSA support is experimental).  (Layla24, BTW, is an 8 input 10
output high end 24bit /96ksps audio interface (not a sound card, since the
card in the PC is just a special digital bus interface to an external 1U rack
mount box) that has killer professional specifications, but has not been very
well supported as yet).  The 2.6.7 release might also have, say, a major ATM
bug fixed in the ForeRunner HE622 driver (listed as unsupported) (I use an
HE622 here). The linux-atm project does not release separate patch tarballs,
but only releases through 'upstream' kernels.

Traditional Red Hat and FC1 backported the security fix only and kept the
kernel version the same (in this example, that would lose the improved
Layla24 support as well as the HE622 bugfix that are in the new UPSTREAM
kernel).

The question before the group becomes: "Will FC2 release an errata for a
patched 2.6.6 or will FC2 release a 2.6.7 that has the security fix AND the
updated drivers/features/whatnot, along with any updated packages that might
be necessary for the new kernel?"  We know the previous policy; we want to
better understand the new policy.  Just saying that the goal is to be closer
to upstream doesn't directly address this issue, IMHO.  To me, the current
statement simply means that the Fedora Core kernel, at the time of release,
will be as close as possible to the upstream kernel, at the time of the
Fedora prerelease freeze.  Errata kernels are not mentioned, AFAICT, unless I
am very much misreading the statement.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology