Kernel RPM question: What if...

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Fri Apr 16 16:36:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 00:23, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:05:18 -0400
> Martin Stone <martin.stone at db.com> wrote:
>

> > The reason I'm trying to do this is that with FC1 stock kernels I am getting
> >
> > random kernel *freezes* - not panics or even oopses - on multiple machines
> > even when trying the usual frequently recommended "apm=off acpi=off nohlt"
> > recommended incantations.  It's my hope that some kind of bugfix has been
> > applied somewhere along the line that would address this problem, as I can't
> > seem to debug it.
>
> Oh good it's not just us then. What sort of boxes are they? We've begun to see
> this mostly on dual-xeon machines.

Try setting up a serial console or netdump, and adding the kernel
parameter nmi_watchdog=1 to your grub.conf. After booting, check
/proc/interrupts to make sure the NMI: count is increasing (if it isn't,
try nmi_watchdog=2) This isn't supported on all hardware, but if NMI is
increasing, then should NMI stop increasing for 5 seconds the kernel
will generate a panic. It should be possible to determine where the
kernel got hung from that output.

--
Chris Kloiber