Kernel RPM question: What if...

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Fri Apr 16 17:23:43 UTC 2004

Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:05:18 -0400
> Martin Stone <martin.stone at db.com> wrote:
>

>>The reason I'm trying to do this is that with FC1 stock kernels I am getting
>>
>>random kernel *freezes* - not panics or even oopses - on multiple machines
>>even when trying the usual frequently recommended "apm=off acpi=off nohlt"
>>recommended incantations.  It's my hope that some kind of bugfix has been
>>applied somewhere along the line that would address this problem, as I can't
>>seem to debug it.
>

> Oh good it's not just us then. What sort of boxes are they? We've begun to see
> this mostly on dual-xeon machines.

Oooooo, mine are all dual-xeons too... how frequently do you freeze?  Mine seems
to average about 0.5 machines per day over a pool of about 5 machines... but
it's pretty random and nothing I do in terms of stressing the box seems to make
a difference.

> In terms of debugging I'd be tempted to be brutal and just compile vanilla
> 2.4.26 onto the machines to see if the freezes go away. Then try to rebuild
> the kernel RPM later. Working out what patches you don't need any more on
> 2.4.26 will be painful. Amending the patches you do need will be more painful.
> Then you will have to go through and fix all the stuff in *.config that has
> changed between versions. That's just annoying. It's possible but don't start
> the process until you are convinced that 2.4.26 fixes your problems.

True that.  I may just do a vanilla kernel but I *really really* want NPTL.

Comforted to know that someone shares my pain...