AFS and Fedora and the 2.6 kernel

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Apr 16 19:51:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:40:19PM -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > We're heavy AFS users here at Boston University, and it's going to be a
> > major blow to not have an AFS client available. OpenAFS, last I looked, said
> > that it'd take them a year to properly develop a 2.6 version *if* they got
> > some funding to do so -- and they don't. Arla doesn't seem to be going
> > anywhere.
> This is a fair assessement of the status, sans the "funding" whines.
> It's not as if anyone else is rolling in money.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just time is money and all that. :)

> That client (kAFS) is not useful for any real work and I do not
> see it becoming one before well into 2.7.

Fair enough.

> I think it would be the best if you found some grad students to
> hack on AFS, either OpenAFS or kAFS. Both projects are amendable
> to patches, in my experience, they just have no hacking cycles
> to them. It's not important which one you decide to advance,
> as long as you do.

It's not like I've got any money either. But there _are_ grad students
around here. :)

> If you cannot do that, well, that's tough.

Well, it _is_ tough, but I'm surprised that we're the only place that seems
to have real interest.

> To stick to RHEL 3 and OpenAFS would probably your best bet.

Does RHEL plan to stick with the 2.4 kernel forever?