ALSA in a 2.6 world

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Apr 18 09:22:43 UTC 2004

Am So, den 18.04.2004 schrieb Russell Coker um 02:01:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:19, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> [regarding installing a kernel from rawhide for ALSA]
> > Normally yes. But I's not that easy that my parents could do it and not
> > 99% risk free (nothing ist 100% risk free ;-) ). An it's way harder and
> > riskier then installing a windows device driver. This is the level I
> > want to reach (okay, with I dream of).
>
> So your parents need bleeding-edge ALSA sound capabilities?

Normally not -- but if they buy a new PC with an by Fedora Core
unsupported card they may need a newer Alsa version if it supports the
card. That not an unusual situation for new PCs.

In times where Computer sometimes only live 3-4 years waiting 5up to 7
Month for an "official" Linux-Driver for my Distribution is annoying.

> I intentionally don't let my parents install anything on their machine.  When
> they need something installed I'll install it for them.  Making Fedora
> administration possible for the average office worker or the average child is
> worth-while, making it possible for the average 60yo is not going to work.

+1

;-)

CU
thl