RFE: Desktop file cleanup

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Mon Apr 19 10:34:04 UTC 2004

Hi.

I'd like to see a decision being made about how the desktop file entries
Name and Comment are chosen. Right now, there are a number of different
styles:

- XChat has "IRC Client/XChat" == <short description>/<application name>

- Epiphany has "Web Browser/Browse the web" == <short desc.>/<long
descr.>

- Evolution has "Evolution Email/Send email and manage your schedule" ==
<application name><short desc.>/<long desc>

- Rhythmbox has "Rhythmbox/Play and manage your music collection" ==
<application name>/<long desc.>

My proposal is that the style represented by the Evolution example is
made standard, and that all applications are adapted to this style. This
will enhance usability and consistency. Very generic applications, such
as gnome-calculator can instead use <short desc>/<long desc> only.  The
examples above would then look like:

- "XChat IRC Client/Chat on IRC network"
- "Epiphany Web Browser/Browse the web"
- "Rhythmbox Music Player/Play and manage your music collection"

Also, the long description should be a description about what the
program is used for, not as in the case of Mozilla Firefox: "lightweight
browser based on mozilla".

/Peter Backlund