Problems with latest updates. Kernel + X.

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Mon Apr 19 21:38:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 16:43 +0100, Ismael Juma wrote:

> Dragoran wrote:
> >> Nvidia's problem; they can't deal with the 4K stacks in the Fedora
> >>  kernel (and now in the vanilla tree as well, apparently soon
> >> non-optional there as well). They'll probably fix it in a while.
> >> Nobody else can.
> >
> > i thought CONFIG_REGPARMS is the problem not the 4K stacks....
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 2 Test 2 with all the updates and vanilla
> 2.6.6-rc1 with CONFIG_REGPARMS enabled. The Nvidia drivers work fine
> with that setup. So as far as I can tell, the problem is the 4K stacks
> (which I did not enable).
>
> Regards,
> Ismael

Apparently, from this user's perspective (pzgren), the problem is not
either one or the other.. but perhaps both (each for separate users...).
I am not certain HOW this can be possible, but it may work for some
users one way and not the other (and vice versa).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=304315#poststop

In my own testing, REGPARM is not involved in the crashes, but 4KSTACKS
is definitely involved.  In the post above, it seems to be the opposite
for pzgren.

At this time all that we can determine for certain is that the drivers
do NOT work stably for the majority of user's posting to either the
above forum or to this mailing list.

The high load of discussion in both locations should calm down a bit
(more so here).  There is no complete resolution until nVIDIA engineers
get involved -- we wait.
--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net