Who is to write /etc/modprobe.conf?

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Apr 21 08:58:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 02:30 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev at redhat.com) said:
> >
> >>Hi, All:
> >>
> >>On FC2T2, I ran system-soundcard-config, and it did not play a test sound.
> >>It turned out that it runs kudzu, and once kudzu is done, it expects that
> >>necessary modules would autoload, which was not the case, because the
> >>/etc/modprobe.conf did not have the necessary entries:
> >>
> >>alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> >>alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> >

> > Won't work. You can't have an alias to an alias with the new module
> > tools.
> >
> > This is cleaned up some in current rawhide modutils/kudzu/s-c-soundcard.
> >
> > Bill
> >

> I don't mean to be rude but what the he** is "cleaned up some" supposed
> to mean? I'm current with rawhide and s-c-soundcard doesn't work so
> there is no sound.
> Thanks for your "help"
> Richard Hally

Great, as a tester it is your job to tell him what is/may be wrong (not
the other way around), so please figure it out.

Did you actually go to pains to be absolutely sure what you have is what
the packages will create in a clean install situation?  Have you
manipulated the module insertion manually and verified the sound system
itself functions?  I have not been using the s-c-sc created setup, so I
also will look into this...

Pete Zaitcev:
My Audigy xGamer (snd_emu10k1) is currently functioning well.  Although
I believe this to be slightly overkill (and it is not s-c-sc created)
this does work:

alias snd-card-0 snd_emu10k1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

install snd-card-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-card-0 && \
{ /sbin/modprobe snd_emu10k1 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0 > /dev/null\

remove snd-card-0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 > /dev/null 2>&1\
|| :; }; /sbin/modprobe -r snd_emu10k1 && /sbin/modprobe -r\
--ignore-remove snd-card-0

Any comment as to how this is the improper method (or laughable) are
welcome.
--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net