Who is to write /etc/modprobe.conf?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 15:17:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:19:29 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev at redhat.com) said:

> > On FC2T2, I ran system-soundcard-config, and it did not play a test sound.
> > It turned out that it runs kudzu, and once kudzu is done, it expects that
> > necessary modules would autoload, which was not the case, because the
> > /etc/modprobe.conf did not have the necessary entries:
> >
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> > alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> Won't work. You can't have an alias to an alias with the new module
> tools.

My bad. The sound-slot-0 alias is entirely unnecessary.

> This is cleaned up some in current rawhide modutils/kudzu/s-c-soundcard.

Woops, my bad again. I updated to the rawhide (see below for versions),
killed soundcard from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, reran kudzu and everything
works now.

[zaitcev at pentabug zaitcev]$ rpm -q kudzu modutils system-config-soundcard
kudzu-1.1.57-1
modutils-2.4.26-15
system-config-soundcard-1.2.8-1
[zaitcev at pentabug zaitcev]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller2 ehci-hcd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
[zaitcev at pentabug zaitcev]$

OK, so with the ALSA out of the way I can turn back to USB.

Actually, one more question. The system-config-soundcard depends on sox,
because it uses play(1). Would it be worth the trouble to redo it to use
aplay(1) and depend on alsa-utils instead?

Thanks,
-- Pete