scp and ~/.bashrc errors, still around with Fedora

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Apr 22 15:57:37 UTC 2004

Gavin Henry wrote:

>Latest try:
>
>ssh ghenry at ipaddress1 scp /home/ghenry/filename ghenry2 at ipaddress2:~/file
>ghenry at ipaddress1's password:
>Permission denied, please try again.
>Permission denied, please try again.
>Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
>lost connection
>
>- --
>Kind Regards,
>
>Gavin Henry.
>Managing Director.

You're not being specific enough for this to be useful.  No one has seen
similar behavior to this by default.  What type and version of ssh is
the remote machine running?  What version of ssh is the fedora machine
using?  Give us an scp -v.  Are you indicating that scp fails on fedora
if the OTHER machine has echo in its login scripts?  You're going to
have to explain exactly what is happening here, because so far no one
can really reproduce this.  I think I speak for many on this list when I
say that I can scp back and forth between lots of linux, solaris, and
other machines using the fedora ssh version, and have since 6.2 or
earlier.  Can you scp from the fedora machine when logged onto the other
machine?  Do you believe this is a bug in fedora or in openssh?

-Eric Hattemer