jigdo

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Apr 25 02:36:50 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>Anaconda would I think need to know about such updates too. The other
>negative is that it means different people get different CD images and
>it may be harder to know which work and which fail
>
>It might be somethig interesting to look at for FC3

I believe that , in the first moments , jigdo could be used only for the
release isos. And the creating of updated images should be discussed a
lot more.  Updated images gives us a shorter installation (because the
system is already updated) , but it makes harder to know exactly which
packages are installed in someone's system. This could make difficult to
help people on fedora-list , because , most of the time , people forget
to mention the version of the software involved... This is easy to
overcome (explaining to users to always post the version of the software
causing problems or , if they forget to do so , asking them the
version).  Also , one thing has to be considered: what will be needed to
adapt anaconda to work with these updated images? This has to be tested
a lot , so I believe it may be available only in FC3...

But maybe jigdo could be used on FC2 to distribute the release isos..
This could save a few gigabytes from the mirrors... For FC2 , there will
be the standard CD images and maybe DVD images (I hope ;) ). This sums
up to 8GB of images. Then , multiply it by 2 (i386 and x86_64
images).... 16GB of  images... Considering that all mirrors carry the
directory structure available at download.fedora.redhat.com , then ,
this shouldn't be necessary... The only thing needed is the .jigdo and
.template files (for CDs , the .template file is about 30MB.  For DVDs ,
the .template file is about 200MB).

Now , only one thing bothers me. I just saw on the page on debian.org
about jigdo that currently DVD images cant be downloaded in Windows...
I'm going to test it on windows to see it was already fixed... If this
can be corrected , then jigdo will be perfect for both end-users (who
will be able to download from a fast mirror nearby) and for mirror
admins (who will save a lot of disk space).

Just my R$0,02 ;)

--
Pedro Macedo