Update on problems creating iteraid driver disk

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 25 12:14:06 UTC 2004

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Frankly if you really want to bother with ite hardware (the SII680 is
> available here for the same price and is perfectly supported under
> Linux)

Of course i want to bother.  My RH9 system is has its root drives on the
chip, and i want to upgrade it to FC1.

> you should focus on getting their driver inside the kernel.org
> sources.
>
> ie make diffs, submit them to LKM, make the changes people request, etc
> (ite is GPLed if  I remember well).

That's all well & good, but i am a kernel nobody: i don't know anybody
who works on the kernel (well, one of my staff had his picture taken
with Linus, but that doesn't count, does it? :-), i haven't
changed/debugged a single line of the kernel, i know nothing about
working on it.

>From what i've heard about the way kernel development works, you have to
find someone ready to listen to you and accept your patches, and that is
not going to happen in the foreseeable future with me, is it?  Surely
the module author would be a far better person to do this.  I'm just a
guy trying to upgrade his PC from RHL9 to FC1.

> This may seem more difficult but remember the kernel is a moving
> target : after six months you'll have spent more energy getting this
> out-of-tree driver work than getting it in-tree now.

Which kernel will it get into?  Not FC1's kernel, not FC2's kernel,
maybe not even FC3's kernel.  In the meantime, i'm stuck on RHL9.

--
Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net