What makes a production kernel?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Apr 28 14:15:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:28:29AM -0500, ByteEnable wrote:
> he comes in contact with.  You have NVidia on one side welding their the
> hood shut from the inside, then you have Red Hat on the outside welding
> the hood shut.

Errr, how's that?

> So he should walk away from Linux because he wants good video performance?
> There is no 3D hardware available with open source drivers that is on par
> with the closed source drivers from NVidia and ATI.

Yeah. That sucks.

> Its going to take HP or IBM to get behind a product to get NVidia to jump.

Hopefully, to get them to jump to open source. As you point out in a
paragraph I've snipped :) the ROI for this just doesn't make it worthwhile.
But in a few years, when 3D is pretty much the basis for everything, it's
suddenly going to go from a fringe problem to a very very serious one.