Should kernels be upgraded or installed.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 14 08:21:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 23:00 -0700, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> An upgrade by the way of an installer consitute a major flag day.
> I think it's a little disingenious for you to pretend you see no
> difference between running up2date to get security patches and
> doing a major upgrade.

I don't claim I see _no_ difference. I don't think it's disingenuous to
observe that there is in fact a lot of similarity. What was considered a
bug in up2date because it rendered the box unbootable should also be
considered a bug in anaconda.

> There is a major advantage to know what is safe and what is unsafe
> beforehand, that is why we have releases in the first place.

I've seen boxes rendered unbootable by the installer even when
installing proper releases. It's not just rawhide.

> You do have to back up everything before doing an upgrade (which is
> something you apparently forgot to do), but not before an update.

Now who's being disingenuous? The problem is that it was rendered
unbootable by removing the old kernels -- I didn't claim it wasn't
recoverable. Obviously I had the boot CD to hand (yay, rawhide has ppc
boot.iso again) and I was able to fix it. That doesn't make it sane for
it to have broken itself in the first place.

--
dwmw2