kernel source/module directions and why windows users are happy

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Aug 22 13:15:07 UTC 2004

> The worst part building external kernel-modules is IMHO that building
> external kernel-modules is different on suse, fedora and others. That
> makes it really hard for everyone IMHO.

actually with the 2.6 kernel it's the same for all of us. Heck, even
with 2.4 was *IF* you had correct makefiles. (but I agree the 2.4 way
needed more hacks and was somewhat unclean. But there is progress... see
2.6)

> > - now you simple do NOT ship/build any source code rpm!
>
> I like this point *if* we have the kernel-sourcecode package in fedora
> extras / fedora.us. Yes, normally nobody should need it, but I think a
> lot of people like to have it. I plan to archive this if nobody does
> it ;-)

I rather ship a script in kernel-utils to turn the src.rpm into a full
source.

> > did you ever see/talk users who use fc or
> > even linux? eg.: redhat/fedora do not ship ntfs driver even when the
> > kernel contain it.
>
> Known problem, see archives.

ntfs I can't ship. Just like we can't ship decss.

> > but for any module which is not in the precompiled kernel they have to
> > now manualy download the kernel src.rpm (this can't be done trough the
> > nightly yum or other update process!) and compile it.
>
> Normally nearly everything is included. Yes there are exceptions. But in
> most cases then there are problems with the drivers.

yep. firewire is off (mostly), and that is because it oopses during boot
even if you don't have hardware. I'd love for that to get fixed so that
I can enable it again. Other than that... just look at the config. Just
about everything is on.