Udev and module autoloading

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 22 20:11:07 UTC 2004

Hi,

Here is a confused user's question:

I was wondering what it is that I need to write in modprobe.conf to get
my devices to work on Linux. What exactly is supposed to go in that file
has been a mystery to me for years for some reason.

So here's the problem: my printer doesn't work, and X doesn't start.
That's because the modules lp and nvidia do not autoload. I am using
udev (the default config file shipped in rawhide), and I have the
following in modprobe.conf.

alias eth0 via-rhine

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx dxs_support=1

alias usb-controller0 uhci-hcd
alias char-major-195* nvidia

Which lines do I not need anymore, and which should I keep?
What should I add to get the lp and nvidia modules to load
when I want to use them. Thanks for any help in advance.